Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

For independent reading over the summer, I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. In this book the main character Henry De Tamble is a time traveler which means that at any random time or place during the day, he will be instantly transported to another point in time either in the future or the past. The only problem with this beside the obvious fact that he leaves his present day life and wife Clare, is that when he time travels he cannot bring anything with him, so he arrives naked and in need of clothes and food. 

This often gets him into trouble with the law. Clare first meets Henry when she is six year old and Henry time travels into the meadow by her house. As she grows up he returns often and the soon fall in love. Even though Clare loves Henry with all her heart, it is hard being the wife of a time traveler, who is constantly leaving. Instantly I fell in love with the main character, Henry De Tamble, he is smart and caring. At and early age he watched his mother die in a car crash and I can relate to that because I watched my father die of cancer when I was eight years old. Henry though, is often transported back to the moment of the crash and has to relive it over and over again. The Time Traveler’s Wife is a wonderful book but is also very sad. I would recommend reading the book before seeing the movie because it makes the movie so much better. I would give this book a rating of 9 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment