Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Middle of The Secret Life of Bees

As I read more and more of the secret life of bees I begin to enjoy it more. Lily has run away and is now staying with august and working with the bees. Suddenly she feels what it is like to be loved and have a home where she is happy and cared for. At first I was kind of surprised when lily suddenly felt attracted to Zack, Augusts’ black nephew, but then after reading about him I really wasn’t surprised anymore. It seems like the typical thing for the author to do—make the main character fall in love with the wrong person, someone who is not right for them with a love that is forbidden. In the novel lily often repeats how she wishes there were no skin pigments in the world. If everyone were the same then there would be less prejudice, fighting, and angst. I wonder what will happen between Lily and Zack. I do not think that they will be able to become a couple for there is too much controversy. I wonder when Lily will finally get enough courage to tell August the truth about why she is there. Lily is learning a lot about herself and her past from August and her sisters. They are helping her grow into a young woman and become stronger. They are helping her to become someone who can stand up against her father, T. Ray, and discover the truth about her mother’s death.

No comments:

Post a Comment